Leave Us Alone!

Thursday, September 28, 2006

An Open Letter to the Honorable Harry Reid

Dear Senator Reid:

Here's a snippet of your speech earlier this evening against S. 3930:
Second, this bill authorizes a vast expansion of the President's power to detain people – even U.S. citizens – indefinitely and without charge. No procedures for doing so are specified, no due process is provided, and no time limit on the detention is set. . . .

History will judge our actions here today. I am convinced that future generations will view passage of this bill as a grave error. I wish to be recorded as one who voted against taking this step.

(quoted by Glenn Greenwald at Unclaimed Territory)

That's great, Senator, really super. My, you're quite the orator. I'll bet you feel really good about yourself for having fought the good fight to defend the rule of law.

But what would have been even better would have been if you and the party you ostensibly lead had had the guts to filibuster this thing.

In my letter to you earlier this week, I wrote that if this bill "...makes it to President Bush's desk, you'll have a hard time convincing civil libertarians like me of the importance of voting Democratic." You and I both know that was just a bluff. I'll vote a straight Democratic ticket, as usual. But, just once, I'd like to be able to vote for the Democrat rather than against the Jesus freak for Pinochet across the aisle.

Sincerely,
Jason Sonenshein

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Cane said...

Amen.

11:31 AM, September 29, 2006  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

Apparently "the honorable Harry Reid" lives in the same universe as Bearded Spock. They don't call them Vichy Democrats for nothing.

1:09 AM, November 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home