Leave Us Alone!

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Taft Signs S.B. 9 and S.B. 53

Our criminal governor has been busy signing bills that will make more Ohioans into criminals.

The Ohio Legislative Service Commission's status report on Senate Bill 9, ever slow to update, just recently reported that Governor Taft signed the bill, which will expand the power of police to demand identification from law-abiding citizens, and make criminals of those who don't produce identification on demand. The act will take effect on April 14.

The Chillicothe Gazette reports that Governor Taft signed Senate Bill 53, which will invade the privacy of cold and allergy sufferers, and make criminals out of those who buy too much cold medicine in a month, in a futile attempt to curb the use and manufacture of methamphetamine.

Sometimes I think Governor Taft might be the worst governor ever, but then I remember that Jim Rhodes killed people.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Cane said...

Let's not forget Taft's commitment to enforce the use tax -- making tax evaders out of nearly every Ohioan who ever bought anything on the internet or out of a catalog, or in many cases, simply while travelling outside of Ohio.

3:04 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger Jason Sonenshein said...

Yeah, good point. Perhaps the governor wants to make fellow criminals out of as many of his constituents as possible.

6:39 PM, February 14, 2006  
Blogger The GTLā„¢ said...

Can you say,

"Show me your papers, please!"?

Pretty creepy, but not nearly as bad as RealID.

10:37 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger Ben said...

Rhodes was a great governor for Ohio. He really was. I didnt know he was the one who accidentily killed those protesters. I thought others fired the guns.

12:58 AM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger KraZyKaT said...

I am sitting in the bar smoking my cigar which I purchased online to avoid sales taxes. I am being asked by the smoking police for I.D. because I am sitting in an unauthorized smoking area. "Damn, I left my wallet and I.D. at home!" "Really", I plead!

"Assume the Position" I am told.

Oh crap I thougt as I realized I had stuffed the bottle of Sudafed in my pocket before leaving. Surely they will find it. "My damn hayfever was acting up and I needed relief". "Really," I plead.!

"Do you have a reciept for that cigar?". "Yes I do. But it's a stored file on my computer. You see, I bought this from some vendor online." "Really," I plead!

"Unit 69 to Headquarters...We have a real hot one we are bringing in.This guy is a major threat to our health, cannot prove who he is, a drug addict, a tax evader, and quite possibly a terrorist."

I wonder if they allow smoking in prision?

12:11 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger Jason Sonenshein said...

Wow, two new commenters on one day! Thank you Ben and Krazykat for stopping by.

Ben, you're right that Governor Rhodes wasn't the trigger man. Sure, he wasn't criminally liable, but he did put the events in motion that led to those four deaths, and those who did fire the shots were under his command.

As for Gov. Rhodes' being a great governor, he sure did build a lot of stuff, but he borrowed a lot of money to do it, and didn't put enough money into maintenance of all that new infrastructure, thus necessetating the tax increases of the Gilligan and Celeste administrations.

Krazykat, that's a heck of a nightmare scenario.

7:41 PM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home